top of page


Omø By, which is located in the middle of the island, has the status of one of the best-preserved villages in the region. The town has preserved its original village structure with farms located close to the street. There are streets, stone dikes, village gardens and old plantings. 

Omø By 4.jpg



Take a walk in the village and see examples of the original four-length half-timbered farm with farmhouse, stables and barn. In Husmandsstræde you can see examples of the householders' homes, see e.g. the house with a crack at Husmandsstræde 12. Øens assembly hall and Historiens Hus are also located in Husmandsstræde. 

Also enjoy the silence of the beautiful street, where farmers used to water their cows in the old days. It is also in Omø City that you will find the island's school, the island's only convenience store Letkøb and opposite it the remains of Omø Fattiggård. What remains today is a small beautiful holiday home. 


The land belonging to the farms was originally divided, so that each farm had many smaller pieces of land scattered across the island. In this way, each farmer got a share in both the good and the bad land, and in plots of land that were suitable for different uses. Each farm had, for example, a plot of land around the lake, where pipes could be cut for thatching the thatched roof.

The farmers on Omø were tenant farmers under the Borreby Estate until the abolition of the Stavnsbändt in 1788. The Stavnsbändt meant that the male agricultural youth were obliged to live all their lives under the estate where they were born.

The Landbore reform in 1794 allowed for the separation "replacement" of a property from the village community. But the island's limited size has meant that only a few of the city's farms have been closed down and moved from the village to the open country. Relocation of farms and amalgamation of land, which took place in the rest of Denmark with the agrarian reforms in the 1790s, known as "the replacement", is therefore less evident on Omø. The relocation of farms from the village onto the village field has occurred in connection with fires in the town, where the new farm has been built outside the village, as is the case with the farm by the Draget beach.

bottom of page